North Georgia – Ready to quit? You can do it for at least one day this Thursday, November 16th during the Great American Smokeout®! Every year on the third Thursday of November, many Georgians join tobacco users across the nation in giving up using tobacco and electronic cigarettes for the entire day during this Great American Smokeout® event, initiated by the American Cancer Society. Quitting for just one day is an important step toward a healthier you, especially if that one day can lead to many more.
Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States and in Georgia. Over 11,500 Georgians die each year from tobacco-related diseases, including cancer and heart disease. Quitting tobacco and eliminating exposure to secondhand smoke are two proven ways to decrease the risk of tobacco related death and disability.
The Georgia Smokefree Air Act, passed in 2005, has reduced exposure to secondhand smoke by prohibiting smoking in all enclosed facilities, including buildings owned, leased, or operated by the State or local governing authorities.
Now, it’s your turn to reduce tobacco-related health hazards by quitting the use of tobacco and electronic cigarettes during the Great American Smokeout®.
Here in Georgia, we can help. The Georgia Tobacco Quit Line is a free resource that can help tobacco users reach their goal of quitting. The Georgia Tobacco Quit Line (1-877-270-STOP; Spanish speakers call 1-877-2NO-FUME; TTY: 1-877-777-6534 for the hearing impaired) provides counseling for Georgia tobacco users ages 13 and older. Callers speak with tobacco cessation counselors who help to develop a unique quitting plan for each person.
North Georgia Health District 1-2 of the Georgia Department of Public Health, health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counites, Drug Free Cherokee, Cherokee Focus, and the Cherokee Youth Council encourage Georgians to go tobacco-free during the Great American Smokeout®, and beyond!
North Georgia – The North Georgia Health District office in Dalton and our health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties will close early to clients and visitors on Monday, August 21st in the interest of public safety during the solar eclipse. The health departments will close at 12:00 p.m. and the district office will close at 1:00 p.m. This closing applies to all public health services in the district, including Environmental Health, WIC and Children’s Health services.
If viewing the solar eclipse, residents are urged to follow these safety precautions:
- Do not look directly at the sun
- Sunglasses do not provide sufficient protection
- Only look at the sun through an approved solar filter
- For even safer viewing, observe indirectly by projecting the sun’s image onto a blank sheet of white paper with a pinhole camera or with binoculars
For more safety information, log onto NASA’s website.
Ball Ground, GA
Stag Enterprise Inc. is looking for a Warehouse Tech/Driver for its Ball Ground, GA location. The successful candidate will be responsible for the inventory of the Warehouse and daily delivery of materials. Must be able to multi-task in a warehouse environment and work well under pressure to service the customer in a safe and timely manner. The Warehouse Tech/Driver will also be responsible for the procurement and dispatch process and delivery of products to customers and vendors for our established wholesale distributorships that carry multiple types of products.
- Shipping and Receiving
- Check and stock merchandise.
- Pick and verify orders for customers.
- Prepare orders for shipment.
- Create labels for shipments and orders.
- Faxing/sending documentation to home office.
- Daily loading and unloading of products in truck for delivery to customers.
- Driving deliveries.
- Maintain daily checklist of truck and forklift maintenance
- Warehouse inventory counts, picking and pulling orders, daily maintenance of the warehouse and other duties as assigned.
The qualified candidate will have excellent problem solving skills and be familiar with health and safety regulations. He or she will be mature, dependable, trustworthy, AND will possess the following:
- Minimum of 2 years of truck driving experience.
- Warehouse experience including driving a forklift.
- Computer literacy
- A clean driving record.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and provide superior service.
- Ability to multi-task and work within daily deadlines.
- Knowledge of common carrier (LTL) and full truckload logistics
- High School Diploma
The successful candidate will also be subject to drug testing and a criminal background check.
Please send Resume to:
The results of the Tri-Meet with Cherokee and River Ridge at River Ridge are listed below. (more…)