DALTON, Ga. – Flu Shots are now available at NO COST to residents at public health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield Counties. Healthcare plans will be billed on behalf of clients who have coverage, and there is no charge to anyone who is not under a healthcare plan. No appointment is necessary – “Walk-ins” are welcome. Residents are urged to take advantage of these no-cost to client flu shots while supplies last.
It is not too late to get a flu shot. In fact, the time is crucial. Georgia, along with 48 other U.S. states, is experiencing widespread influenza activity, with 37 flu-related deaths currently reported in Georgia, including four in north Georgia – and those numbers are expected to increase since the flu season has not yet peaked.
The current flu vaccine effectively protects against three of the four influenza virus strains that are circulating.
Locations and phone numbers for the participating north Georgia county health departments are:
- Cherokee County Health Department: 1219 Univeter Road, Canton, GA 30115, 770-345-7371 and 7545 North Main Street, Suite 100, Woodstock, GA 30188, 770-928-0133;
- Fannin County Health Department: 95 Ouida Street, Blue Ridge, GA 30513, 706-632-3023;
- Gilmer County Health Department: 28 Southside Church Street, Ellijay, GA 30540, 706-635-4363;
- Murray County Health Department: 709 Old Dalton-Ellijay Road, Chatsworth, GA 30705, 706-695-4585;
- Pickens County Health Department: 60 Health Way, Jasper, GA 30143, 706-253-2821; and
- Whitfield County Health Department: 800 Professional Boulevard, Dalton, GA 30720, 706-226-2621.
Health officials also remind the public that flu is extremely contagious and can spread easily from person to person; therefore, anyone experiencing flu-like symptoms – such as fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue or nausea – is urged to stay home during the severest symptoms and for at least 24 hours after fever is gone. More information about preventing the spread of flu, such as frequent handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes, is on the North Georgia Health District website at http://nghd.org/pr/34-/938-widespread-flu-in-georgia.html.
Press Release from the North Georgia Health District, provided by the Fannin County Emergency Management Agency: Dalton (GA) – Health departments throughout the North Georgia Health District will start conducting drive-by flu shot clinics in September. (more…)