Jasper, GA – Some children get a free or reduced breakfast and lunch during the week, but do not have enough food or any food on the weekends.
The weekend snack program sends out a small bag of food for needy children so they will have food on the weekends. This helps families who are barely getting by or can’t afford to feed their entire household.
This year, the group has decided to also provide small canned hams to children so that they can enjoy a special treat for their Christmas dinner and throughout their break.
Our community shows need for this program with around 100 children signed up.
Allowed Food Items:
- Individual packages of crackers with cheese, peanut butter, etc.
- Pop tarts
- Granola bar or other healthy snack bars
- Fruit snacks (in individual sealed bags)
- Mac and cheese
- Individual boxes of cereal, oatmeal, grits
- Small individual cans of meats (Vienna sausage, Beanie weenies, Ravioli or other small cans of meat)
- Or any other items that would be easy for a child to eat or cook and keeps well outside of the refrigerator – many items come in individual containers so it is easy to find
For more information, contact Fran Bishop, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or 770-735-1434
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com