Dragons fall in heartbreaking shootout with North Murray

PHS Football, Team FYN Sports

Jasper, Ga — It was a hot night on Friday, August 25th as the Pickens Dragons welcomed the North Murray Mountaineers to Dragons Stadium for a non-region contest. Last season, these two teams met in Chatsworth, where 104 total points were scored between the two teams as the Mountaineers took that one, 54-50. This one, started off slow, but the fourth quarter was action packed as it gets. The Mountaineers, were able to hold off the Dragons at the last second as North Murray got the win, 44-37.


The Dragons, won the toss and elected to receive the opening kick. Driving down the field, the Dragons, got on the board first as RB Miguel Salto ran it in from 18 yards out. The PAT attempt from Charlie Gibbons was blocked and with 8:02 left in the first quarter, the Dragons held a 6-0 lead. The Mountaineers, wasted little time answering as QB Skyler Williams found RB Judson Petty for a 69-yd touchdown pass. Much like the Dragons first PAT attempt, the Mountaineers first PAT attempt was blocked and with 6:54 left in the first quarter, the game was all tied at 6. Gibbons, would give the Dragons the lead with a 22-yd field goal to make it 9-6 Pickens with 2:22 left in the first quarter.

The Dragons would extend their lead just before the end of the first quarter as QB Sam Streicher found WR Landon Poole for a 21-yd touchdown. The PAT from Gibbons was good and as they headed to the second quarter, the Dragons led the Mountaineers, 16-6.

Miguel Salto receives the hand off from Streicher


In the second quarter, the Mountaineers got back into the game. A 14-yd field goal from Juan Martinez cut the Dragons lead down to 16-9 with 7:47 left in the first half. Right as the first half was about to end, Willams found Petty from 5-yds out for their second touchdown of the half. The PAT was good and as they hit halftime, Pickens and North Murray were once again tied. This time, at 16 a piece.

Dragons defense going against the Mountaineers









In the third quarter, the Mountaineers would take the lead for the first time in the ball game as Williams ran it in from 5 yards out to make it 23-16 North Murray with 9:16 left in the third. The Mountaineers, extended their lead as Williams found Petty, his favorite target, for a 24-yd touchdown. The PAT was good from Martinez and heading to the fourth quarter, North Murray led the Dragons, 30-16.

Dragons running to the near side of the field


In the fourth quarter, the Dragons got the scoring started as Salto punched it in from 6 yards out for his second score of the game. The PAT from Gibbons was good and with 10:50 to go in the game, the Dragons cut the Mountaineers lead down to 30-23. North Murray, stretched their lead out to 14 again as Williams and Petty connected for the fourth time after a 32-yd screen pass. With 9:15 left in the fourth, Pickens now trailed 37-23. Streicher, found Hayden Jones streaking down the left sideline and Jones was able to take it to the house for a 69-yd touchdown. The PAT was good and it was now, 37-30 North Murray with 8:18 left.

The Dragons, then set up for an onside attempt as McCord Purdy placed it beautifully and Pickens would recover. After the Dragons drove down field, Streicher, was scrambling around looking for an open receiver and found Senior TE Isaiah Williams for a 6-yd touchdown. The PAT from Gibbons was good and just like that, Pickens and North Murray were tied at 37 with 6:05 left in the game. On their next possession, the Mountaineers would be forced to punt as Gibbons made an impact defensively and took down Williams for the sack. Pickens, needing a big play on a third and long, drew up a TE screen for Williams who barreled his was past the first down marker.

The drive for the Dragons ended up stalling and they would have to punt. During the punt, the Mountaineers fumbled the catch and the Dragons almost came up with it, but North Murray got it back. After a long pass down field to start the drive, the Mountaineers were able to take the lead after a 5-yd TD run by Williams to make it 44-37 with 29 seconds left. On the ensuing kickoff, Martinez squibbed it, and Poole had to go pick it up. He proceeded to take the kick all the way back for a touchdown, but a holding penalty was called. Pickens, went for the hook and ladder to try to make something happen, but the Mountaineers were able to hold on to come away with the 44-37 win.


The Dragons, will be back at it next week as they host the Fannin Rebels on Friday, September 1st. Kickoff is set for 7:30 pm.

Leave a comment

Back to Top